Kayaking is a sport that appears to require relatively small amounts of equipment. In truth though, it is much more than a paddle and a kayak, this provides you with a lot of potential gift ideas. So here are our best kayaking gift ideas for Christmas:
1. Drip Rings – Drip rings are placed on each end of a paddle and keep water from running back up the paddle to your hands. While this may sound odd given that you’re sitting in water, it is incredibly annoying to have water running over your hands all of the time. Drip rings stop this, which makes them very useful. They are also incredibly cheap, costing no more than a few pounds. Aqua-Bound is a good brand to look out for.
2. Back Bands – Sitting in a kayak for a few hours is not easy on the lower back. Back bands fit into the seating area and provide lower back support similar to those you find for car seats. Backbands are a must for long trips. A back band of good quality will set you back from about £30. SealLine, FASJ and Ocean Kayak are good brands.
3. Kayak Storage Bags – These are watertight bags and attach to the kayak in a variety of ways. Underdeck bags attach to the roof of the interior space and act like a glove compartment in a car. They make storing valuables such as car keys, maps and journals easy. Deck bags are strapped above the deck at the front or rear of the kayak. Overboard bags are another option and they float on the water while keeping everything inside dry. North Water and Lomo make excellent kayak storage bags and you can expect to pay from around £40 for one.
4. Waterproof Writing Journals – Ideal to allow kayakers to keep notes during and after their trips. They’re really great for writing down impressions, routes they’ve taken, things they’ve seen, people met along the way, alternative routes to be tried in the future and so on.
5. Alaska Sea Kayaking Adventures – If you’re looking for a big ticket item, why not give an Alaska Sea Kayaking trip as a gift? A number of companies in Alaska provide sea kayaking tours in Prince William Sound and other locations. There is nothing more impressive than paddling up to one of the glaciers overhanging the sea. The sheer beauty will leave you astonished. The cost of trips varies, but most of the expense is getting to Alaska. Do an Internet search for ‘Alaska kayaking’ and you’ll find the providers.
Whether shooting the rapids of a river or cruising scenic bays, kayaking is a great sport. If you’re buying gifts for a kayaking enthusiast this list is a good place to start.